Meeting Date: 09.08.1999
What I did last week: Since Romeo was down because of overheating problems, I couldn't get the new Makefile system installed. So I focussed on trying to understand the SKETCHUP system and maybe look around for some more links about the REMUS code. I tried to compile the source code for SKETCHUP on one of the BRAAE Lab machines but had no luck, since I had no write permissions (silly profiles!). I then got hold of the Visual-Studio install CD's and put them onto one of the Multimedia-Lab machines. The VisualBasic application actually kind of ran. But not really. At least I could trace the program flow by finding out what buttons are reponsible for what Library calls. The C-code wouldn't compile, seeing as (I found out later) the code was written in the Borland environment and what the heck is portability? Anyhow, I found out what functions do what and that the parameter passing is mainly done using global variables (which doesn't really increase readability).
What I'll do this week: Go through the code "by hand" and see what parts of the code I actually need. I intend to bypass the edge-detection and draw the edge with the mouse/tracker/etc. directly. So I will need to be able to pass the Edge into the right function and get hold of the information returned from the recognition process. I already have some ideas about how this might work, but to confirm my suspicions, I need to be able to run the code. I will decide about whether to write my own size-function recognizer or get the code working...